Friday, April 15, 2011

I was about due for some X-rays

Yesterday, I had an appointment with a sports med doctor about an issue I've been having with my knee for about a month now.

There is something to be said for being a unique person and not fitting "the mold." But when I go to the doctor and more often than not they look at me and say, "I dunno... it doesn't really fit anything..." it's not what I want to hear.

The possibilties seem to be a stress fracture, which seems potentially likely based on the fact that I am the type of person who ran a 5k despite the pain and injury. Or possibly it could be a foreign body such as a loose piece of cartilege. Or it could be neither and we may never know what it is or was.

The course of action was to send me for some x-rays (despite the fact that a stress fracture may not show up) and to start a few weeks of therapy. Which I assume is going to be like having a personal trainer tell me what to do but only focused on one body part.... but my knee is pretty lean already. I'd rather be concentrating on other body parts, if ya know what I mean.

So, I take myself over for some x-rays. The only good part about all this is that means it's a little longer before I have to go into work. The cute male x-ray technician takes me back and asks if I did something to my knee. Well, actually I just wanted to meet you so I had the Dr. write me an x-ray script and I didn't want be in the gown so we picked my knee... cause my legs are pretty hot (some guy in a Canadian office said so). Of course that's just how I answered in my head - but maybe the x-rays would have been a lot more interesting had I said that.

As I was lying there staring up into blinding lights, I was trying to think back to the last and only other time I think I ever had x-rays and I think I was under the age of 10. At least 25 years.

So for now... I've been forbidden to run or kickbox. My choices are basically the elliptical, bike, or swim. The one thing the doc was confident on was this will heal and I will be running again soon.

Who ever would have thought I'd be anxious to get running. Go figure!

1 comment:

Misty said...

though it's frustrating to not know exactly what is wrong, I guess it's good that it isn't some massive injury that you would only recover from after months and months of grueling and intense therapy...