Monday, July 28, 2008

A Few Reviews

In keeping with the theme of musicals, let me recommend the movie Once, but only if it doesn't bother you that the main characters don't have names and the story is really all about the music and not really the story. Having said that, the music is great. (a new obsession of sorts, as I'm trying to learn the songs on the guitar) I can't believe I accidentally stumbled upon this movie recently and no one bothered to tell me about it earlier.



Another movie I accidentally found (the same day as Once actually) is The Namesake. It's about an Indian family in New York, especially the son Gogol as he tried to balance his parents culture with his American life. Nikolai Gogol is a Russian author of a famous short story The Overcoat, which is also a main theme of the movie. I enjoyed the movie so much, I thought I should read The Overcoat, thinking perhaps it might add even more insight into the movie. (I am fully aware it's a little odd) In case you decided to see this movie (which if you like a good clean drama, you should) let me spare you from then going to research this story. DON'T. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense; it's one of those deeply philosophical metaphoric stories, and because it's Russian, you actually have to read what the smart intellectuals say about it just to make any sense of the story... and by the time you've done all that, the charm of the movie is gone. So just watch the movie and enjoy it. I know that's what you were planning on doing anyway.



Finally, the review I've been wanting to write even before the book came out. Where the River Ends. READ IT!! This book has the potential to change the way you live and the way you love as you take a journey down the river right along side of Doss and Abbie. It's definitely emotional, but oh soooo worth it in the end. There were two parts that really jumped out and spoke to me. The first was at the very beginning, the moment I knew I was going to fall in love with this book.



"She lifted my chin again. 'Band-Aid, are you hearing me?' 'Why you call me that?' She pressed her forehead to mine. 'Cause you stick to me and you heal my hurts.'"



Then towards the end of novel. The words we would all do well to really understand and live.

"You don't have to be beautiful to be beautiful."


So if you're ready for an adventure, curl up with this book and let it take you to the place where the river ends.

1 comment:

michele said...

Well, keeping with your musical theme- I saw Mama Mia this past weekend. And although I find it odd watching a movie where everyone is singing or breaking out into song the film was cute. Pierce Brosnan can't sing to save his life, but for an oder man he is HOT! Anyway, now that I have made you shake your head and laugh- go see it and judge for yourself.