Sunday, October 19, 2008

Taboo

Rule of thumb: There are two topics that are not to be discussed, and I assume that applies to blogs too. But I'm not one to always follow social norms so I'm going to tackle both subjects. Politics and religion. Ok, take a breath in case your heart rate increased and your defenses kicked in....

I actually can't stand poiltics, but it's not something we really can ignore especially right now with this momuntental election hanging over our heads. At least that's what the media and various camps keep saying. I do believe it's important for us as people with a choice to be informed and cast our vote.

Enter religious part of topic: I also believe that God uses governments for his purposes. And ultimately I will answer to Him for who I vote for. It's important to me.

The problem I am having now is that neither candidate really gives me much hope for the future. I won't wax political about my opinions of the candidates and the issues here. I know Obama has youth and some good ideas to bring but there is a smoothness about him that gives me a not good feeling in my gut. Almost slippery and snake-like. His beliefs do concern me. Then McCain and Palin are painted as idiots by the media and somesort of saviors by other groups. What is one to do? Vote for Ralph Nader? Hardly a very realistic option, better to just not vote at all.

So.... I found myself in bed praying for the candidates. Praying that God would show me who I should vote for. A bible verse came to mind. It's found in the 1 chapter of 1 Corinthians and it says, "...For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength. ...But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong."

Who knows what the outcome of this election will be, but God knows. I'm going to try and trust His wisdom.

No comments: