Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey Day

"Nothing is worth more than this day." -Goethe

"Live ever in a new day." -Emerson

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Emerson

Being thankful has to be about more than one day a year pausing to see the blessings we have. We need to learn to make it a daily event. No matter the pain, lose, heartache, unfortunate circumstances we find in our lives, every single one of us can also find blessings and moments of joy. The choice is ours, is always ours, for what we focus our lives on.

This time of year has extra meaning for me since it's when my age becomes another number higher and a year of my life begins.

What am I thankful for? I've been asking myself that over the last few days. Of course there's always the obvious things like health and home. I am very thankful for those things. But what specifically about my life in this last year am I thankful for? This is the harder question. There haven't been any concrete "wow" events or major changes to pinpoint. In fact, I feel like I've lost more than I've gained recently. So, I am thankful that there seems to be something new on the horizon. For those things I've lost, I will gain something new.

Additionally, I have been challenged to write out something I'm thankful for that I don't feel thankful for right now. Trusting that God has a purpose for it in my life. This is even harder. Maybe you could try it too.

Happy thanksgiving. Today and every day.

No comments: