Saturday, March 21, 2009

Jane Austen Ruined My Life

"When a young lady is to be heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding familied cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero her way" - J. Austen

For those us who cannot get enough of happy endings, Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Sense and Sensibility in whatever forms they come in... I have found this book. I just started it this afternoon but I'm already sucked in. For those who still live a charmed life where nothing bad has happened, it might be best for you to stick with the Austen classics. But for those of us who have experienced our share of unhappy endings this might be a good book to read. I'll give a full review when I finish the book.

One quote thus far has significantly stuck out to me.

"Whatever you do, protect my children from the coarse and vulgar speculation of others. The world may know my words, but it has no such priveleges with my heart."

As a writer. As a person. I have often struggled with knowing how much to disclose and when. What a reminder that while some things are universally shared, knowledge of those things closest to our hearts must be earned. And in order to get your Mr. Darcy or Mr. Knighley, you have to allow that privelege.

1 comment:

Misty said...

i have this book but I haven't read it. I did Read Austenland and I really liked it...
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.