Friday, August 13, 2010

Wise Words for the Weary

“Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.”

My weeks feel non-stop most of the time. I'm sure it's similar for all of us. I am up before 6am and get home after 7pm. Just in time to get things together for the next day, clean up, check email and go to bed to do it all over again. And the inbetween time keeps me going non-stop with paperwork and phone calls and the gym. By the end of the week, I am exhausted. That's when I get hit.

“When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago” -Friedrich Nietzsche

I know exactly what Nietzsche means. Thoughts and issues I felt were securely behind me rear their ugly head and I am left in the middle of a mental, emotional battle I have no energy to fight my way through. But somehow... I make it through and rest is very important in that. Without rest things seems much bigger and often more out of proportion and I am likely to overreact or get overly emotional about something that in 2 days won't even matter anymore.

Why wouldn't the enemy come back when you are weak?

The more and more I read that quote - the more I find myself clinging to it. If only in the moment I could remember that this enemy...this battle was already won and the best way to win again is simply to step back and regain strength.

“Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.” - Mother Theresa

This my friends is what we are sorely lacking in these days. We get tired of loving and simply give up when it gets to hard, too exhausting.

“One may go a long way after one is tired”

And maybe the best encouragement of all to keep going...

"Come to me, you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest." - Jesus

No comments: