Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas and Addiction

I am an addict.


They say the first step is admitting it. Oh... I have no problem admitting it. I haven't hit bottom yet so I'm not looking for recovery.


As a child, every year for Christmas two gifts under the tree were always ornaments -one for my sister and one for me. My mom would find something that fit our personalities, our current hobbies or something significant that occured during the year. I never understood why we had to wait till Christmas morning to get them, it seems like it would have made more sense to open them early and be able to put them on the tree instead of waiting an entire year. But I didn't get to make the rules...


One of my favorites has unfortunately gotten lost somewhere along the way, but I got it the Christmas after I was baptized. It was a large clear ball and hanging from the center was a dove. I believe there was a scripture on it as well.


The ornament tradition was always one of my favorites. And as a bonus, when I finally got my own Christmas tree I had quite a collection already. (Then I went to my dad's and took half of his - I figured he could afford to buy more) Even though there isn't a wrapped ornament under the tree for me anymore.. I have continued the tradition on my own. Each year (ironically, it's usally during the after Christmas sales) I seek out a new ornament. Something that fits who I am, a hobby or an event from the year. This year I found my ornament early.


An ornament to symbolize my addiction.


Was it more money than I would like to spend (even half off)? Yes.


Could it be more perfect for me? Nope.


You're right, probably not great to celebrate one's issues, but until my kidneys go into failure and my teeth are permanently stained brown, I'll probably hold onto this one.


Meet the newest addition to my collection...





2 comments:

Courtney said...

hahaha you are so cute and I <3 you so much. 1001 diet cokes :)

Erin said...

Oh!!! Me too!!!!!
Hi, my name is Erin and I am a diet coke-aholic. My motto (which it TOTALLY a joke) is: drink diet coke till Jesus comes. It is refreshing to know that I am not the only one....
Now if only I could find an ornament like that in my town! And...I love the idea of giving an ornament each year at Christmas. I just might have to try that with Kelsey.
Thanks :-)