Friday, September 19, 2008

If we all could love the Wicked Witch

Over the summer I watched 2 little girls and I thought I'd introduce them to you. They fulfill the (very) brief need I have to do some girl-y things like tea parties and dressup.


Ali "underwear" is a little spitfire in a tiny package. She loves to put on lots of layers and then shed them as the evening progresses. She knows all the words to the Camp Rock songs at the age of 5 and is fiercely independent. In fact, she reminds me of myself as a kid. Oh... if only I could warn her about what's ahead. And oh..... her poor mom!




Hannah is a caring and precious. She likes to be close and will snuggle in and hug you much more readily than Ali.

You would have thought I took the kids to Disneyworld for how excited they were to play in the backseat of my car.

I brought the movie Enchanted over for them to watch. Little girls love princesses, don't they? I was a little concerned about them being scared by the wicked witch. Instead, all they kept asking throughout the whole movie "When is the witch going to be on again." We actually fast forwarded to the end to see the witch's big scene. When the witch appeared as the old woman, Ali was afraid and turned her eyes. I asked if she wanted me to turn it off because it could get scarier. She said, "No, I just won't look." But then both girls just came and sat on my lap. When the witch turned into the dragon, Ali says to me, "Is that all that happens. This isn't scary."


So much for the princess, these girls love the Wicked Witch. I started to think about this. Shouldn't we all find a way to love the wicked witches just as much as the princesses? Even better, we could just view everyone in the story life as a character that has a place and a part, each equally important and valuable. I hope no one tells the girls they aren't supposed to like the witch.






1 comment:

Misty said...

I love Elphaba... Does that count?

(but yes, you are right.)