Sunday, September 28, 2008

When I Grow Up I Wanna Be a Pussycat Doll

(* Disclaimer: I am not endorsing this group.)

This will be a fairly short post, as I am busy watching reruns of SYTYCD (So You Think You Can Dance) of which I am going to see on tour in a couple weeks (and yes, I know what a nerd I am) But speaking of dance, I have recently discovered that I actually like dancing. Although that doesn't mean I'm very good at it, at least in my opinion. In college, I did a lot of swing dancing and really enjoyed it. But since then I haven't done much of any kind of dancing, not even at weddings. But I've been slightly addicted to watching dancing on TV.

A few months ago, a friend and I decided to do a class together at the gym. Part of the class was aerobic dancing. I liked it but it took a while to learn and there are parts that I still haven't quite gotten. But 2 weeks ago the teacher decided to try something new, which was an hour of dance in the style of the Pussycat Dolls. This is definitely NOT the kind of dance I would typically attempt or think I could ever pull off. Sexy, is not an adjective I would use about myself. So I go to class and the first thing I realize is that most of the people who are usually in the class have decided not to come this week. And for the next hour we all struggle through learning the steps.

This Thursday, I show up and there are only 3 of us from the previous week (this isn't looking good) So the teacher has us vote on what we want to do. We end up doing the dance again. One by one people keep dropping out. By the end of class there are only 5 of us left. This probably means that next week we will go back the regularly scheduled program, which I am a little bit saddened by. See, I was actually pretty good at this. One of the other women in the class even told me I was good. I don't know why this actually comes easier to me then the other dance. Perhaps because it's because it's more musical and I can sense and anticipate the rythym better. Or perhaps my perfectionism kicked in and I'm determined to learn it and not look like an idiot. Or a combination of both. But it looks like my pussycat dolls days may be numbered.

Now only if I could figure out those silly yoga poses!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um i wanna see you "pussycat doll"-dance!

Misty said...

this made me laugh. I was looking at a pussycat doll thing today and, as a mom, I just thought "ugh, I can't stand them." and then, the LAST person I'd ever have expected to have a post titled this was YOU!

at the end though, all I can so is: go you. That's awesome.

p.s. i love yoga.