Saturday, August 11, 2012

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia

I had never heard of Peggy’s Cove before I met JD and saw the amazing photograph she had taken of the lighthouse. I knew it was a place I wanted to see and have her share with me. I had been just to the border of Nova Scotia 2 years ago on our way to PEI. But now I can officially say I’ve been to 4 of the Provinces.

JD, Jillian, Josh and I were all up early with picnic lunch packed and on the road around 7am for our 4.5 hour drive to the coast.

Unfortunately this was another day Mother Nature was not on our side. While we attempted to plan the trip for the day that wasn’t supposed to rain, it was gray, raining and wet until just before we left. We didn’t let it stop us. 

We explored the area and learned about its history. Despite being among plenty of other wet tourists and there with my best friend, I felt strangely as if I were the only one there. I was caught in a place of deep internal reflection and peace that is hard to describe. Something about the desolate beauty there that buffers you from everything else. Perhaps a sunny day would have left a different impression, but I’m not sure I would have wanted it any different. 

We did some geocaching in the area. What’s great about that is it takes you to places you might have otherwise missed. We visited the Swiss Air 111 Memorial and took a beautiful amazing hike down the coast from the lighthouse. 

We had purposefully planned to have JD’s 250th cache be Canada’s first cache. So in the late afternoon we headed that way. Stopping at this gorgeous spot to appreciate just how magnificent our world is in all its variety and splendor.

After the joy of finding the geocache and walking back to the car (all still with muddy shoes and wet clothes) we made the decision to head into Halifax to see the waterfront before beginning the long drive home. I loved the old brick and sandstone buildings of Halifax. The architecture of days when beauty and art were more important than the bottom line. I wished we had more time to walk and explore the city, but it gives me a reason to go back another time.

After a very long and fulfilling day, we arrived back home at 12:30am and fell promptly to sleep as soon as all the wet nasty clothes were in the wash. 

No comments: