Sunday, December 20, 2009

Ravished

You have ravished my heart,
My sister, my spouse;
You have ravished my heart
With one look of your eyes,
With one link of your necklace.
Song of Solomon 4:9 (NKJ)

“Ravished”: to seize and take away by violence; to overcome with emotion (as joy or delight)

the Hebrew word is labab: to take heart, make heart beat faster

I have ravished the heart of God.

You have ravished the heart of God.

He is filled with holy, violent love toward us.
He is captured and captivated by us.
One look to Him makes His heart beat faster.

STOP.
Just think about it….

I mean really think about it.

We sing songs to God about our love for him –our joy - the sacrifice He made – his birth – his death. Have you ever listened to the song he sings over you? The words of love he has just for you. What name does he call you by?

My weak love matters to God.

Our lives more often reflect that we are insecure and unconfident of God’s love. How different would it look if we knew… KNEW how much God loves us?

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You.
Psalm 139:17-18 (NKJ)

I decided to do a little math (I know… I know…) The bible uses sand and stars quite a bit – so lets pretend His thoughts towards us are like the stars. Even with all our technology – we really don’t know how many stars there are. The are over a trillion stars estimated to be in the Milky Way alone. And roughly 200 billion known galaxies. If you lived to 90 years old that would mean that God thinks of YOU somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 trillion times per second!!!

The Hebrew word for sand comes from the root word “khole”.

Khole: twist or whirl; to dance, to writhe in pain or fear; bear, bring forth, calve, dance, drive away, fall grievously, hope, look, make, be in pain, rest, shake, shapen, sorrow, stay, tarry, trevail, tremble, trust, wait carefully, be wounded

Maybe… just maybe, God feels all these things for each one of us. Twirling us around on his finger one day, sharing our sorrows the next. Giving us hope or maybe just sitting by holding us in His arms.



I am utterly ravished by that thought.
I willing trust my heart to one who loves me like that.

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

odd how God would have me reading from song of songs today!! hmmmm

if only i could really grasp that love of God. it has probably been at the root of most my struggles. the fact that i don't really understand or believe that He loves me as He says.

beautifully written, tia!!

JD said...

I was so eager to see this post after our conversation today, and I was excited to see it formed into words so soon! Thank you for that sweet gift!

Wow... powerful message, beautiful imagery. I think it's the closest I've come to grasping the immense infinity of God's love for us, and yet, it's even greater than infinity.

Amen -- how can we not fall madly in 'crazy love' with a God who loves us this way? My heart is His!!!

Erin said...

I should read this post every day.

Beautiful.