Friday, September 16, 2011

My heart's in Africa

My heart was captured by you the first time I heard you sing. You with the beautiful face, angelic voice and deep hurt in your eyes. I loved Africa because I loved you, Khanysile. I saw the way the other girls looked up to you, but you were somewhat apart from the group. When I came back the following year, it was a joy to see such life in your eyes. I saw your passion for worship, how you learned a whole CD in a day and sang your heart out dancing around the dorm. It’s hard to believe it’s been almost 10 years since I’ve seen you. I pray that adulthood has been kinder to you than your childhood. I pray you will use your voice to sing healing into the hearts of the hurting. Soon I will be headed back to Africa to spend time once again with kids just like you were. I will once again try and bridge the gap through music, a universal language. In that way, I will feel you close. Keep singing to Jesus, beautiful one.

No comments: